Jul 20, 2009

Q&A: Body Fat Loss

Question:

Hi Chris,

I came across your sites on the cbn.com website. I'm definitely not a teenager, just an ordinary middle-aged woman. I have a quick question. Can you please tell me at least one exercise for the following 3 areas. I just can't seem to do what I need to evidently to get the flab off. The triceps, the tummy area (mostly below the belly button) and the inner thighs. I am 5' 5" and weigh 127 lbs., but am surprised at the flab on my body. I had my ratio checked once (can't remember what you call it) and they were surprised I think too. I was too high on the body fat ratio. I've never been overweight. Any information you can send would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Answer:
Sounds like you're doing most of the right stuff already. When people give me this type of info and yet are still seeing no results, there's usually one of a couple reasons:

1. You're eating more than you think you are (not a dishonesty issue, just an awareness issue). This doesn't sound like it's your dilemma.
2. You're not working consistently enough for long enough on your exercise program. This is usually a biggie. If you're not able to stick with something for longer than 3 months...tough to see results. Often I find this is when many people are just beginning to see things happen.
3. You're not working hard enough. If bodyfat loss is the goal (i.e. to see muscle definition), you've got to be in caloric deficit a little bit every day. Thus, you've got to expend more calories than you consume. That's either got to happen through slightly less calorie consumption, more energy expenditure through activity, or even better yet the combination of the two. But, on the exercise end...it just takes consistent hard work.
4. You have a metabolic issue. This is the last thing I default to. Essentially, if you are doing "all the right stuff" and still aren't getting results, it may simply be that you have a slower metabolism, or, in other words some possible hormonal balance issues. That is something you can get checked with your physician if you have not yet done so.

There are other things you should probably be doing like eating every 2-3 hours (instead of just 3 meals) so you keep your metabolism primed and making sure to drink 1/2 your bodyweight in ounces/day...but that is the gist of it.

One of the things I've found with my clients over the years is that if the exercise program is not one you enjoy or will put out good effort/work doing...it simply won't work (no matter how great the program is). You may try to get into some group training style classes or exercise with friends to see if that helps with accountability and fun.

Lastly take a look at a couple of my nutrition and exercise blogs:
Nutrition
8 Weeks, 8 Habits, 8% Bodyfat
8 Week, 8 Habits, 8% Bodyfat Part 2
8 Week, 8 Habits, 8% Bodyfat Part 3
8 Week, 8 Habits, 8% Bodyfat Part 4
...stay tuned for Parts 5-8

Exercise/Program Design
It's Simple, Stop resting, Work harder
Program Design
10 Minute Workouts
Mini Circuits for Bodyfat Loss
Example Programs (see www.prevailvideo.com for examples of how to perform exercises)

Recipes

Thanks for the inquiry. Hope this helps. I know this is a common area of concern and battle for so many. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

No comments: