Mar 6, 2013

Lifting with the Editor: Hip Thrust PR

Prevail Strength Coach Jacob Goodin



The Lift: Back-Elevated Barbell Bent Leg Hip Extensions (or hip thrusts) subject the gluteal complex to high tension and load while sparing the spinal erectors.  Drive the heels into the floor and keep the tailbone tucked to achieve full hip extension.

The Good: This was my first attempt at maxing out on this lift, and I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of weight I was able to move.  

The Bad: As you can see, my back was a couple inches too high on the bench, shortening the lever and making the lift easier (aka cheating).  Also, my hamstrings were sore for about three days following this workout, leading me to believe that they--and not my glutes--were the dominant muscle group involved.


No comments: