Oct 30, 2012

What Do You Make?



By Prevail Strength Coach Jacob Goodin

Sometimes I wonder if pursuing my God-given passions was the right choice.  I could have pursued a degree in business and done a fine job working sales, or perhaps become an engineer like my dad.  Both of those careers respectable and provide steady work, salaries, benefits, and regular hours--but neither of them bring me to life.  Instead, I work 3-4 different coaching/teaching/training jobs, with a cumulative salary that hardly seems worth the 50-60 hours of work and planning I put in each week.  I love what I do, but did I make the right choice?  Where is the reward?
I came across a quote yesterday on Mike Boyle's blog that answers this question beautifully.  It's from Joe Erhmann's book InSideOut Coaching.  I haven't read the book, but judging by this quote I'm sure it is worth the read:
In the book a coach responds to a rude question about “what he makes” with the following:
"I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I make them push through self imposed limits… I make them competitive and teach them how to win with humility and lose with honor… I make a difference”.
When the budget is tight, hours are long, and the bills just keep coming in, remember that the return for your efforts is not measured by salary alone.  My high school athletes have learned that excellence is a choice, that they can set and reach higher goals, and have achieved huge personal records this season.  My Prevail clients are moving and feeling better, performing daily activities with ease, and broadening their physical horizons.  My Westmont students have learned how to design and implement their own strength training programs to accomplish performance and aesthetic-oriented goals that would otherwise seem out-of-reach.  Factor this into my meager salary, and I am a rich man.  I make a lot, and it is measured by the improvement in the lives of those I serve.  I made the right choice.
How are you making a difference?  How are you Prevailing?

This post originally published on Jacob's blog at coachgoodin.com

No comments: