Jul 16, 2012

Its About More

Its About More
By: Chris Ecklund, MA, CSCS, USAW


It’s a common thing.  I’m sure many of you have dealt with it or thought about it or labored over it as I currently am.  Whether it relates to your business or job or personal life.  It’s not an easy thing to do though it’s a helpful thing to do…your Mission Statement.

Over the past several months (well…past year if I’m honest), we’ve been in development of our new website for Prevail Conditioning.  Cool.  Fun.  Horribly difficult.  (*And might a throw a quick shout out to our web designer, Stephanie Rose, as she has been SO patient and supportive of me through this process that I have dragged my feet on like stubborn mule.  Steph, thank you for putting up with me in this brutally long process).

…anyway…

As we’ve been working on the site, the issue of the Mission Statement inevitably came up.  I knew it was coming.  I knew we needed to address it.  I dreaded it.  It’s just not an easy thing to do—this process of defining yourself/your business.  But we began to tackle it (and still are trying to tackle the elusive beast a bit).  You have to deal with issues such as who you are, who you want to service, what drives and motivates and brings you passion, why you do what you do, who your ideal audience is and who you can best service…what makes you, YOU.  I feel like it’s trying to describe everything your career journey has been about into 3-5 sentences in a way that is catchy so people will want to read it and are drawn in by it. 

My whole career and business in a catchy phrase?!…Good grief.  Does life get any more fun that this?

After a time we pulled some thoughts together. We figured some things out (thanks Jade and Peter for bearing with my crazy brain and walking through this with me).  And it was essentially this:

“It’s about more…”

Prevail Conditioning is about more than Strength & Conditioning
Prevail Conditioning is about more than Personal Training
Prevail Conditioning is about more than Physical Therapy
…or group training
…or nutrition
…or any of the other services we offer in our center.

It’s also about more than achieving a 4.4 second 40 yard dash or even getting that person out of pain and back to function who’s been incapacitated for the last 3 years with back pain.  Are those wonderful things?  Are they worthy pursuits and things we want to offer our clients?  Of course they are…and we do.  But those are neither the beginning nor the end for us.

It is about walking through life with people.
It is about the process.
It is about the learning, the journey, the education.
It is about becoming and finding who we are and why we are here.

So perhaps I should pose the question to you:

What is it about…for you?

No comments: