Jul 24, 2009

Making the Industry Better...or Worse?

I am not a fan of sharing negative comments or thoughts via blogs, but unfortunately this is going to be one of those articles. Over the last few weeks I've had some great interactions with some Strength Coaches and Personal Trainers that are colleagues of mine. In and through those conversations I have been reminded of a few things in my industry that are truly frustrating:

1. I don't run into enough Strength Coaches and Trainers who want to learn. I wish that wasn't the case, but I'm finding it is. Rare has been the environment or person I run into in the industry who has a passion for learning, gaining knowledge and getting into the research and applied science literature with the intention of improving training methods.

2. What happened to sharing ideas? I am starting to hear with some regularity of the coaches and trainers who are actually having their clients sign confidentiality forms regarding training methodology (meaning clients are legally bound to keep training methods a secret). To me, this is discouraging. I find that it feeds into a type of "secret potion" or "magical method" thinking on the end of the athlete or client. In my opinion, this does not positively impact the industry as a whole.

Sure, have your niche.

Define your training philosophy.

Be unique.

But asking your clients to sign a document that withholds them from talking about your training sessions? Does not make sense. Help the industry by sharing and growing with your colleagues.

3. Coaches and trainers are still trying to kill their clients and make the gold standard workout one in which the athlete or client throws up. I absolutely cannot understand or jive with this. Haven't we grown in our knowledge of physiology and exercise physiology enough to know that only in a highly acidic and disturbed environment will a person's body respond this way? This is NOT good progression. Stop giving in to client or sport coach's demands. You are supposed to be the expert...the professional. Is there a time and place? Sure. But not as the general rule.

On a positive note, I must again say that I was reminded of these frustrations through some GOOD interactions as of late. Colleagues I connect with and have an opportunity to share ideas and knowledge with on a regular basis are an encouragement to me: John White (formerly of USF and VSP Dublin, CA), Jose Aguayo (VSP Memphis, TN), Steve Plisk (Excelsior Sports), Joshua Patlak, Jez Bettle, the trainers at SB Training, Glenn Town, Gregg Afman. So here's a public thank you to colleagues that encourage me and help me grow.

No comments: