Apr 1, 2013

Coach Pete's Feeding Schedule


Peter Blumert, MS, CSCS, USAW

"Well, what do you eat?"

I can’t begin to tell you how many times I have heard that question. For those of you that don’t know me well, I am a big fan of the motto, “Practice what you preach.” If I recommend something to a client based off a certain rationale, and then I do something completely opposite of my own advice even though the same standards apply to myself, then why should they listen to me? I am not perfect and I don’t expect others to be perfect.

Coach Eck recently posted most of his workouts over a 4-week period so I figured I could at least track and post one day of everything that I ate and drank. To give you a little background, my nutrition changes daily based off of number of different reasons (training volume and intensity, work schedule, sleep schedule, what’s in the fridge, my location, my budget, what my talented wife made for dinner, etc).

On the day that is posted below, I woke up at 6am, was at the gym from 630am till 330pm, trained at 830am and then again at 145pm, and I went to bed at 930pm. I saw a few clients before and in between my training sessions. The afternoon/evening consisted mainly of office work and preparation for the following day.

I took pictures of everything that I ate and drank during the entire day (minus water consumption).

I don’t track how many calories I consume. I try and listen intuitively to my body about when I need to eat and when I have eaten enough.

My biggest surprise when I looked over my log at the end of the day was not what I ate but how much water I drank.

I hope you enjoy seeing a glimpse of my nutrition on a typical double training session day for me.

6am: 20oz water with 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar and ½ freshly squeezed lemon

630am: 1 can of sardines, 2 big handfuls of mixed nuts, 2 cups of coffee with 3 tbsp coconut oil


9/10am: Peri/Post workout shake - 40 grams of whey protein, 45 grams of fast digesting carbohydrates (something similar to Gatorade), 30 grams of slowly released carbohydrates (UCAN super starch)


1130am: 2 cups Greek yogurt, ½ turkey burger, 6 oz of raspberries, 4 tbsp coconut oil


215/315pm: Peri/Post workout shake - 40 grams of whey protein, 75 grams of fast digesting carbohydrates (something similar to Gatorade)

4pm: Quinoa (with dried cherries, sautéed onions and sliced almonds, and fresh squeezed lemon juice), green beans (with bacon, onions, grass-fed butter), ½ turkey burger, 1 chicken thigh


6pm: 7 eggs with small handful of shredded cheddar cheese cooked in coconut oil, 3 tangerines, 1 apple


8pm: Broccoli with melted grass-fed butter, 1 avocado, 1 chicken thigh, mashed sweet potato with grass-fed butter


830pm: ½ cup McConnells ice cream


Total water consumption throughout the day: 180 ounces



No comments: